529 College Savings Plan
College is expensive. Paying for it can be easier with a 529 college savings plan. 529 college savings plans are state-sponsored, named after Section 529 of the Internal Revenue Code.
Learning Quest® 529 Education Savings Program
The Learning Quest 529 Education Savings Program, established by the state of Kansas, is professionally managed by American Century Investments®. The program combines:
- Tax benefits at the federal and Kansas state level.
- Freedom to choose how you invest.
- Broad eligibility, high maximum account balance and affordable minimums.
Consider the benefits of investing in a Learning Quest account.
Learning Quest features include:
- Investment choices include age-based tracks and static portfolios.
- Professional program management from American Century Investments.
- Ability for parents, grandparents and others to invest for a child's education; anyone can open or contribute to a Learning Quest account.
- Minimums starting as low as $25 per month and a maximum account balance of $335,000 per beneficiary.
- As the owner of a Learning Quest account, you maintain control of the money in the account - even after withdrawals begin.
Learning Quest is a tax-friendly way to invest for a college education.
- Earnings grow on a tax-deferred basis at the federal and Kansas state levels
- Kansas taxpayers receive an annual adjusted gross income deduction of up to $3,000 ($6,000 if married, filing jointly) for their contributions per beneficiary, per year.
- The earnings portion of withdrawals used to pay for qualified education expenses is tax free at the federal and Kansas state levels.*
- Contributions can be deducted from a taxable estate and given without being subject to gift taxes.
* Non-qualified withdrawals are subject to federal and state income taxes and a 10% penalty.
The availability of tax or other benefits may be conditioned on meeting certain requirements, such as residency, purpose for or timing of distributions, or other factors.
Before investing, carefully consider the plan's investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. This information and more about the plan can be found in the Learning Quest Handbook, available by contacting your financial advisor or American Century Investment Services, Inc., Distributor, at 1-877-345-8837, and should be read carefully before investing. If you are not a Kansas taxpayer, consider before investing whether your or the beneficiary's home state offers a 529 Plan that provides its taxpayers with state tax and other benefits not available through this plan.
As with any investment, withdrawal value may be more or less than your original investment.
Notice: Accounts established under Learning Quest and their earnings are neither insured nor guaranteed by the State of Kansas, the Kansas State Treasurer or American Century Investments.
Administered by Kansas State Treasurer Ron Estes
Managed by American Century Investment Management, Inc.
Distributed by American Century Investment Services, Inc.