Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- If I have an American Century Investments mutual fund account, can I use your brokerage services?
- Why do I have to fill out a new application when I already have mutual fund accounts with American Century Investments?
- What types of accounts are available with American Century Brokerage?
- What options are available for my cash balances?
- How can I trade with American Century Brokerage?
- Is there a more convenient way other than a bank wire for me to move money from my bank account to my brokerage account?
- Can you give me recommendations?
- How do I send a bank wire to American Century Brokerage?
- How do I consolidate my portfolio from American Century Investments to American Century Brokerage?
- How do I transfer my account from an outside financial institution to American Century Brokerage?
- Can I own non-American Century Investments mutual funds in my brokerage account?
- Do I have to transfer all of my mutual fund accounts to my brokerage account?
- Can I use my American Century Investments mutual fund assets to pay for a securities trade?
- How long will a Good-Til-Canceled (GTC) order remain as an open order?
- Can I buy IPOs through American Century Brokerage?
- Can I buy a stock and then send you a check in the mail?
- Can I reinvest my stock or mutual fund dividends?
- How can I get research and information about stocks or mutual funds?
- Where can I find a complete list of funds offered through American Century Brokerage?
- What are your commissions, margin rates and account fees?
- How are the precious metals in my account priced?
- Will I need to pay any fees to transfer a mutual fund to American Century Brokerage?
- If I set up automatic investments on a transaction fee fund, will I have to pay a transaction fee on each periodic purchase?
Yes. However, you must first open a separate account with American Century Brokerage. You can open an account online or download an account kit from our Form Center or you can call 1-888-345-2071 to order a kit. The kit contains complete information about features and benefits, account minimums, commissions and fees, and a brokerage account application and customer agreement.
The laws and regulations that govern brokerage companies and mutual fund companies are different. According to the regulations governing brokerage companies, we are required to obtain financial and employment information from brokerage customers. We also are required to have your original signature on a brokerage application form.
In addition to the Standard Account, we offer the Corestone AccountTM and IRA Account.
See all of our available Brokerage Account Types.
Cash balances are kept in a money market sweep account.
You can place stock, option and mutual fund trades in any of the following ways:
- Online at americancentury.com
- Using TeleSelect, our automated information and trading line at 1-888-345-2091
Quotes and account information also are available:
- By telephone with a Brokerage Investment Specialist Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central time toll-free at 1-888-345-2071
- In person at any of our three Investor Centers.
Precious metals and fixed-income securities are not available for quotes or trading either online or using TeleSelect. Please contact us or visit an Investor Center to request a quote or place a trade in precious metals or fixed-income securities.
Yes. You may mail us a check for deposit to your brokerage account. Your deposits will be swept to your brokerage money market sweep fund where they will earn daily dividends until you use the money to pay for a trade or withdraw your cash. Call a client representative to find out more.
No. Brokerage Investment Specialists cannot provide recommendations about your investments. There are tools available on our Web site or through our Brokerage Investment Specialists to help you make your choices.
You can send a bank wire by contacting the financial institution that will be wiring the assets to us. When requesting the wire you should instruct the financial institution to address the wire to:
The Bank of New York: ABA# 021000018
Pershing LLC Account Number: 890-051238-5
For Further Credit: Your name and American Century Brokerage account number
There is a section on the brokerage application where you can elect to transfer your American Century Investments mutual funds directly to your brokerage account without liquidating your shares or incurring a taxable event. Certain funds are not available through our brokerage service. Call us for details.
You can transfer "in-kind" (without liquidating your shares or incurring a taxable event) many of the securities or mutual funds you own with other financial institutions. A Transfer Form is included for this purpose in the brokerage information kit. Additional Transfer Forms can be downloaded from our Form Center.
Yes. The FundChoice ServiceSM offers most American Century Investments mutual funds, plus funds from thousands of no-load and load fund families. Over 1,000 no-load funds are available with no transaction fees, while over 3,000 no-load funds are available with a transaction fee. There are no transaction fees to buy and sell load funds, but the sales load does apply.
View our Fees & Commissions page for more information.
No. You can still maintain a mutual fund account in addition to a brokerage account as long as the applicable investment minimums are met.
Once your brokerage account is open, you can move money from your American Century Investments´ mutual funds to your brokerage account. When the money is in your brokerage account, it may then be used to pay for a securities trade.
You can also elect to transfer your American Century Investments´ mutual funds directly to your brokerage account on your brokerage account application.
A GTC order will remain as an open order for 90 days or until it executes, whichever occurs first. Please contact one of our Brokerage Investment Specialists if you would like to extend the expiration period of a GTC order.
Initial Public Offerings (IPOs) are not available through American Century Brokerage at this time.
No. In order to purchase stock or other securities in a brokerage account, sufficient funds (or, in the case of a margin account, marginable securities) must be in the account on the day the order is placed.
Yes. Most of the stocks and funds available through our brokerage service are available for dividend reinvestment. Please let one of our Brokerage Investment Specialists know if you would like any of your holdings set up for dividend reinvestment.
When you log in to your brokerage account, you'll have access to a wide range of online news and research, powered by Pershing. Among the many tools, you'll find the FundScanTM mutual fund screener.
You can find a complete list of the mutual fund families in the Fund Choices section. Or, look up a fund by requesting a mutual fund quote when logged in to your brokerage account. Once logged in, you also can use FundScanTM, an online mutual fund screening and sorting tool. FundScan can help you create a customized list of funds based on the criteria that you select.
Review our Fees & Commissions for trading stocks, bonds, options, mutual funds and precious metals. Please note that online trading is limited to stocks, options and mutual funds. Other securities and precious metals trades must be placed directly with one of our Brokerage Specialists at 1-888-345-2071. Fees and Commissions brochures are also included in our brokerage information kits.
They are priced using the Comex spot bid as of the close on the last business day of the previous month.
No. We do not charge transaction fees or transfer fees when transferring your mutual funds. However, you may be subject to transfer fees by the financial institution from which you are transferring. If you do get charged a fee for transferring your assets to us, you can call a Brokerage Investment Specialist at 1-888-345-2071 to see if you are eligible for a rebate on all or a portion of the fee.
No. As long as you establish an Automatic Investing Plan and invest a minimum of $100 automatically into your mutual fund monthly, quarterly, semiannually or annually, you will not have to pay a transaction fee.
This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended as tax advice. Please consult your tax advisor for more detailed information or for advice regarding your individual situation.