Steps to Exchange Between Accounts or to a New Fund
- Log In with your User Name and Password.
- On the Account Summary page, find the name of the fund.
- Below the fund name, select Exchange.
- Follow the prompts.
What You Need to Know about Exchanging Between Accounts or to a New Fund
Exchanges and Taxes:
- If required to file a tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), you must report when the sale of shares from an exchange between non-tax-deferred accounts results in a capital gain or loss.
- Exchanges between IRAs are not considered taxable events and are not reported to the IRS.
- American Century Investments® uses the first-in first-out method for shares sold through an exchange.
Early Redemption Fee:
- If you are exchanging shares from a fund with an early redemption fee and the shares have not been in the fund for the required number of days, the exchange amount will be subject to an early redemption fee. Review your fund's prospectus for more complete information on fees and expenses.
Exchanges Per Account, Per Calendar Year:
- There is no limit on the number of exchanges allowed per calendar year.
- There is a hold period of seven calendar days for online investments - these funds are not available for redemption (sell) until this period has expired.
- Exchanges received on any business day prior to market close (usually 3 p.m. CT) will receive that day's price. Exchanges received after that time will receive the price determined on the next business day. Unless processing has begun, American Century Investments will use its best efforts to honor revocation requests received prior to market close on the trade date of the transaction.
- Identical account registration is required for exchanges between accounts.
- $100 minimum for exchanges to existing accounts.
- The maximum online exchange is $250,000 per account per day.
- If you are exchanging all shares from an existing account that has one or more automatic investments, you must first stop all automatic investments on the account you are closing. Learn more by visiting the Automatic Investments site help topic.
- If you are exchanging to a new account, the new account will be set up with the same registration as the account from which you are exchanging.