What is phishing?
Phishing ("fishing") is a growing form of online fraud that uses phony emails, websites and other software to trick you into providing your personal information (passwords, Social Security numbers, account numbers, etc). Phisher emails look like they come from a trusted source, but they are actually from criminals hoping to gain access to your accounts.
How can I recognize a phisher email?
There are several warning signs to help you spot a phisher email. These messages may:
- Request that you verify information by clicking on a link or filing out a form. Although it may seem that the link is taking you to a legitimate website, you are actually being redirected to a fake site and the information you enter is then captured electronically.
- Urge you act immediately. The scammers are hoping to get you react quickly before the fraud is detected.
- Contain suspicious looking links. Look for misspellings or Web addresses that look unusual.
- Tell you that you need to download software or fill out a form to conduct business on your account.
- Contain unprofessional grammar or wording inconsistent with what you would normally expect to hear from a particular company.
How can I protect myself from a phishing scam?
Keep the following tips in mind when checking your email.
- Never send personal information, such as your passwords, account numbers, Social Security number, etc, via email. We will never ask you to send us your personal information in an email.
- In general, it's safer to enter the business' Web address yourself and not rely on a link provided in the email.
- Do not download software from a suspicious source. American Century Investments® will never ask you to download software for your account to work.
- Open a new browser when logging into accounts and close the browser when you are finished.
- Check on your accounts frequently. Don't wait a full month to review your account activity.
- Change your password every 30-60 days.
What are American Century Investments' business practices when sending email?
- We will never ask you to send personal information back to us via email.
- We will never ask you to download software for your account to work.
How do I report a phisher email?
If you suspect that an American Century Investments' email is not authentic, do not use the links and notify us at 1-800-345-2021.
Where can I find more information about phishing?
You can find more information about phishing from the Anti-Phishing Work Group.