American Century Investments® Security Guarantee
Trust is the foundation of any solid relationship. At American Century Investments, trust takes on even greater importance because you are entrusting your money to our care. We take that seriously and work hard to do the right thing. We apply this same integrity to protecting your accounts. We are proud to offer our Security Guarantee to individual investors in American Century Investments mutual fund accounts and American Century® Brokerage accounts.
Our Security Guarantee is designed to provide you with peace of mind when conducting business with American Century Investments. We will reimburse your American Century account if we conclude there was unauthorized activity resulting in a loss and the activity occurred through no fault of your own. This includes making sure that the activity was not initiated by you (the account owner) or someone you allowed to access your account.
What to Do if You Suspect Fraudulent Activity on Your Account
American Century Investments maintains physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your accounts from fraudulent activity. In the unlikely event you experience or suspect online fraudulent activity on your account, contact us immediately at 1-800-345-2021. We will respond swiftly by investigating any unauthorized activity you report to us, and report our findings back to you. We also will ask you to cooperate with us during our investigation and take corrective measures to protect your account from further fraudulent activity.
Security Guarantee Eligibility
You play an important role in helping us safeguard your account. Take the following steps to be eligible for this Security Guarantee:
- Do not share your User Name or Password with anyone. If you share this information with anyone, we’ll consider his or her activities to have been authorized by you.
- Promptly install the security and maintenance updates recommended by the maker of your computer operating system. Use anti-virus and firewall software and enable the feature that automatically updates this software.
- Frequently check your account information and transaction history online and promptly review all communication, statements and confirmations received from American Century Investments.
Security Guarantee Limitations
Any reimbursement under this Security Guarantee is limited to direct losses from your account and does not include any tax consequences, legal fees and expenses, or any consequential, lost opportunity, special, indirect, incidental, punitive, exemplary or non-monetary damages.
This Security Guarantee does not cover the following:
- Transactions through our CheckWriting service;
- Online transactions through websites other than americancentury.com
- Account activity by any person, including, but not limited to those to whom (a) you have granted power of attorney; (b) you have granted access to your accounts; or (c) you have authorized to transact on your behalf, such as a financial advisor, its employees or agents;
- Activities in your workplace retirement or benefit account by an employer, administrator or plan sponsor representative who is authorized to access your account, but who is acting outside the scope of his or her authority;
- Activities resulting from a breach of security: (a) in an employer, administrator's or plan sponsor's systems, or (b) at a third-party entity or website with which you have shared, or authorized the sharing of, your User Name, Password and/or account number; and
- Activity resulting from your lack of diligence in establishing, maintaining or using your own computing environment.
Details and Conditions
As part of our normal business practices, we accept and process transactions initiated using your authenticated User Name and Password. If you choose to give your User Name and/or Password to another person or a third party entity, such as a "financial aggregator" that combines information about you and your accounts from multiple sources over the Internet, we will not be responsible for any losses you may incur as a result. Likewise, we cannot be responsible if you fail to take appropriate steps to protect your private information.
We will determine the type and amount of reimbursement, including whether to replace the stolen securities in your account, and may seek restitution for reimbursements made under this Security Guarantee from the person(s) or entity that committed the unauthorized activity. We may not provide reimbursement if you are reimbursed, or eligible for reimbursement, by others for the unauthorized transactions, for example, by your insurance company.
As part of our investigation, we may require you take additional steps including, but not limited to, filing a police report, completing a notarized affidavit regarding the unauthorized transactions, cooperating and answering questions from American Century Investments' personnel and law enforcement authorities, allowing us or our designee to access the computer or other access device suspected of being compromised, and signing a release form. Furthermore, we may require that you take additional steps including, but not limited to changing your User Name and Password, installing or updating anti-virus or firewall software, and/or updating your computer's operating system. We also may ask you to assign to us certain rights you may have regarding your loss and sign a release form as a condition of reimbursement. You may not otherwise assign your rights under this Security Guarantee to any other individual or party.
This Security Guarantee can be amended or terminated at any time without further notice.
This Security Guarantee is governed by the laws of the State of Missouri excluding that body of law applicable to choice of law.