Who We Are
At American Century Investments®, we are focused on delivering superior investment performance. Money management is all we do. As a privately-controlled company, we are independent and believe in doing the right thing for our clients. Through our ownership structure, more than 40% of our profits support the research of genetically-based diseases.
Performance Focus for More than 55 Years
- In 1958, James E. Stowers, Jr. founded American Century Investments with two mutual funds and a desire to help people become more financially independent.
- Our mission is to relentlessly focus on delivering superior investment performance and building long-term relationships with our clients.
- Our headquarters is in Kansas City, Missouri, with offices in New York, New York; Mountain View, California, London, England and Hong Kong.
- We take an active, team-based approach to managing equity and fixed income investments.
Pure Play Business Model
- Money management is all we do-no ancillary businesses distract our focus, stretch our resources or compete with our clients.
- When you invest with us, you have access to one of the country's largest private money managers.
Privately Controlled and Independent
- Our owners maintain a long-term view when it comes to investing and our company. We are not beholden to quarterly earnings pressures. This enables us to stay true to the long-term objectives of our investment strategies, offer reliable diversification and align with the best interests of our clients.
- We're from Main Street, not Wall Street. We take an independent view, guided by our commitment to do the right thing for our clients. We're one of the few major asset managers untainted by ethical lapses.
Profits with a Purpose
- Through our ownership structure, more than 40% of our profits support research to help cure genetically-based diseases including cancer, diabetes and dementia.
- With their personal wealth, James Stowers, Jr. and his wife Virginia founded and endowed the Stowers Institute for Medical Research—a world class biomedical research organization dedicated to improving quality of life by researching and uncovering the causes, treatment, prevention and cure of gene-based diseases. Both Jim and Virginia survived cancer.