- A bank account via Automated Clearing House (ACH).
- Check by mail payable to all account owners to the mailing address on file for your account.
The maximum online redemption is $25,000-please call 1-800-345-2021 if you wish to redeem a larger amount.
1Online redemptions are not available for IRA Beneficiary or CESA accounts-please contact us to redeem.
2Bank accounts and/or mailing addresses will not appear if subject to a 7 calendar day hold.
What You Need to Know
- If you have recently made an investment in an account, the money you invested will not be available for redemption for 7 calendar days.
- Automatic investments do not automatically stop when an account has been liquidated. Please be sure to stop your automatic investment if you have liquidated your account. View Steps to Stop Existing Automatic Investments online.
- Once a valid redemption request has been made, it is irrevocable and may not be modified or canceled.
- Redemptions received on any business day prior to the close of business (3 p.m. Central time) on the New York Stock Exchange will receive that day's price.
- Before requesting a redemption from a CheckWriting account, please verify that all CheckWriting checks have cleared. If a CheckWriting check has not cleared, leave enough money in the account for the check to clear. Choose All Shares to close out the account completely.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a redemption?
A redemption is a sale of shares or a liquidation from an account, in which the money is directed to your bank account or by check to the address of record. An exchange from one mutual fund to another mutual fund is also considered a redemption.
Is there an early redemption fee?
If you are redeeming shares held less than the specified holding period, even if you are moving the money to another American Century Investments® fund, the exchange amount may be subject to an early redemption fee.
Are you redeeming only a portion of your account balance?
If you intend to keep the account open, the remaining account balance must meet the fund's minimum initial investment requirements. Otherwise, the account may fall in the low balance liquidation cycle.
Steps to Redeem (Sell) Online
- Log In with your User Name and Password.
- Select the appropriate account under Portfolio of Accounts in the margin.
- Under the Account Summary tab, find the name of the fund.
- Below the fund name, select the I want to... drop-down menu, and select Sell.
- Enter the amount that you want to sell ($50 min):
- Dollars—Enter a dollar amount to redeem.
- Shares—Enter the amount of shares to redeem.
- All Shares-Do not enter an amount and select All Shares to liquidate your account.
- Choose how to receive the proceeds from this sale:
- Bank (2-5 business days)
- Check by Mail (7-10 calendar days; payable to all account owners)
- Select the Continue button and follow the prompts.