Start your application now and choose your investments.
Accounts are available only to U.S. citizens and U.S. resident aliens.
Complete this application to open one of the following American Century Investments brokerage accounts: Traditional IRA, Rollover IRA, Roth IRA, SEP IRA or SIMPLE IRA. Or click on the appropriate PDF to process a paper application:
If you are an employer establishing a new SIMPLE IRA or SEP IRA plan for your business, you also must adopt an appropriate plan document.
SEP IRA plan employers: If you have not already adopted a SEP plan, consider an American Century Investments® SEP prototype plan. You may instead adopt the IRS Model SEP plan by completing IRS Form 5305-SEP.
SIMPLE IRA plan employers: If you have not already adopted a SIMPLE plan, consider adopting the IRS Model SIMPLE plan by completing IRS Form 5305-SIMPLE.
Note: To open an account online with American Century Investments, you must live in the United States or one of its territories and must be either a U.S. citizen or resident alien.
Mailing Address (
check if same as above)
Are you (any account owner, trustee, agent or authorized signer) or an immediate family member (spouse or domestic partner, minor child or a relative who shares your home) employed by or affiliated with a member firm of an exchange or FINRA, including American Century Investments?*
If yes, list company, name, position, affiliation and address below. A letter and duplicate statements will be sent to the employer in accordance with current regulations.
Are you (any account owner, trustee, agent or authorized signer) or an immediate family member (spouse or domestic partner, minor child or a relative who shares your home) a registered investment advisor?*
If yes, list company, name, position and address.
Are you (any account owner, trustee, agent or authorized signer) or an immediate family member (spouse or domestic partner, minor child or a relative who shares your home) a natural person, corporation, partnership, trust or otherwise, with total assets of at least $50 million?*
If yes, provide the individual or entity name.
Are you (any account owner, trustee, agent or authorized signer) or an immediate family member (spouse or domestic partner, minor child or a relative who shares your home) a director, a 10% shareholder or policy-making executive of a publicly traded company?*
If yes, list company, name, position, affiliation and address below. American Century Investments will not monitor or restrict account trading. It is the responsibility of the account owner to monitor trading to ensure adherence to all applicable trading regulations.
Are you (any account owner, trustee, agent or authorized signer) or an immediate family member (spouse or domestic partner, minor child or a relative who shares your home) a large trader?*
If yes, provide your large trader identification number.
Please indicate below whether or not American Century Investments is the Designated Financial Institution for your company's SIMPLE IRA plan. A Designated Financial Institution receives all contributions made to the SIMPLE IRA plan. American Century Investments is the Designated Financial Institution only if your employer has completed IRS Form 5305-SIMPLE. Please contact your employer to determine whether it has completed this specific form.
If no election is made, we assume American Century Investments is not the Designated Financial Institution.
The minimum initial investment for a Traditional, Roth, Rollover, SEP or SIMPLE IRA is $2,500. Checks must be payable to American Century Brokerage.
Funds rolled over from an employer-sponsored retirement plan ("rollover assets") can be kept in a separate account, typically designated as a Rollover IRA. Doing so allows you the option of returning the rollover assets to a qualified plan in the future. Combining rollover and other IRA assets together may cause you to forfeit the option of moving the rollover assets to another employer-sponsored retirement plan in the future. Additionally, a qualified retirement plan distribution that is eligible for special tax treatment under an income-averaging or capital gains election will maintain this eligibility if you keep the money in a separate Rollover IRA. Should you request a Non-Rollover IRA be funded with assets previously held in an employer-sponsored plan on this application, you agree that you do not wish to preserve the option to return your rollover assets to an employer sponsored plan in the future or to maintain the assets' eligibility for special tax treatment (when applicable).
Contributions for SEP and SIMPLE IRAs will come from the employer.
I will mail a check payable to American Century Brokerage in the amount of $
American Century Investments
P.O. Box 419146
Kansas City, MO 64141-6146
If no year is indicated, your investment will be credited for the current year.
Rollover Contributions are not allowed for SIMPLE IRAs.
To start your direct rollover, please request distribution paperwork from your employer. Complete and return to your employer.
You can transfer mutual fund shares from an American Century Investments Traditional, Roth, Rollover, SEP or Simple IRA to your new brokerage account. To do so, both accounts must be registered in the same account type. If transferring between accounts registered in different account types, please call our investment specialists at 1-888-345-2071. Investment Specialists are available to assist you weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central Time. Please note:
Converting assets from a Traditional or Rollover IRA to a Roth IRA has tax consequences that you should carefully consider. Please consult a tax advisor if you have questions. In addition, if the account owner of the existing account and the IRA are not the same individual, or the existing account has more than one owner, please attach a separate sheet with transfer instructions signed by all owners of the existing American Century Investments brokerage account.
You must also complete theBrokerage Transfer Form . Complete one transfer form for each financial institution and mail a copy of your most recent statement. For additional transfer forms, copy or download from americancentury.com.
You may skip this section as you are not converting from an American Century Investments brokerage Traditional/Rollover IRA to an American Century Investments brokerage Roth IRA.
Please skip this section unless you are converting from an American Century Investments brokerage Traditional/Rollover IRA to an American Century Investments brokerage Roth IRA.
Converting creates a taxable distribution from your existing Traditional IRA. The year after the conversion, we will send you and the IRS Form 1099-R to report the distribution amount. We also will send you and the IRS Form 5498 to report the amount converted. You may want to speak with a tax advisor before you authorize this conversion. Money that you elect to convert from your existing Traditional IRA that has not previously been taxed is subject to federal income tax withholding. You may elect to have withholding applied to your distribution by checking the box below and indicating the rate of withholding.
Remember, even if you elect not to have income tax withheld, you are liable for paying income tax on the taxable portion of your conversion amount. If you elect not to have income tax withheld, or you don't have enough withheld, you may be responsible for payment of estimated tax. You may incur penalties under the estimated tax rules if your withholding and estimated tax payments are not sufficient.
If you do NOT want us to withhold federal income tax from your conversion amount, do NOT check the box.
I elect to have federal income tax withheld at the rate of
%. Percentage must be between 10-100%. If no percentage is indicated, or if you indicated a percentage of 1-9%, withholding will be made at the rate of 10%. Note: State tax will be withheld according to state regulations if, at the time of your distribution, your tax residency is within one of the mandatory withholding states.
Note if you are under age 59½: If you choose to have tax withheld from the converted amount, you must make up the difference out of pocket and add it to your Roth IRA within 60 days or that amount may be subject to a penalty tax. Any amount not rolled over is considered an early distribution.
Complete for Internet Access: Go to americancentury.com/brokerage for account information, online trading, and to sign up for electronic delivery of your account documents.
Automatic Sweep Account (required)
The sweep program consists of sweep options, which may include money market mutual funds or bank deposit products. Once a sweep option is elected, any free credit balance in your brokerage account will be automatically invested into the sweep product selected. Any debits in your brokerage account will also be covered automatically by redemptions, to the extent you have a balance in the sweep product sufficient to cover the debit balance.
Select one of the money market funds below. If you do not select a fund, your cash balance will automatically be swept into the Prime Money Market fund.
You should consider the fund's investment objectives, risks, and charges and expenses carefully before you invest. The fund's prospectus or summary prospectus, which can be obtained by calling 1-888-345-2071, contains this and other information about the fund, and should be read carefully before investing. Investments are subject to market risk.
The disclosure below applies to the California Tax-Free Money Market Fund, Prime Money Market Fund and the Tax-Free Money Market Fund.
Money Market Fund: You could lose money by investing in the fund. Although the fund seeks to preserve the value of your investment at $1 per share, it cannot guarantee it will do so. The fund may impose a fee upon sale of your shares or may temporarily suspend your ability to sell shares if the fund's liquidity falls below required minimums because of market conditions or other factors. An investment in the fund is not insured or guaranteed by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or any other government agency. The fund's sponsor has no legal obligation to provide financial support to the fund, and you should not expect that the sponsor will provide financial support to the fund at any time.
The disclosure below applies to the Capital Preservation Fund and the U.S. Government Money Market Fund.
Money Market Fund: You could lose money by investing in the Fund. Although the Fund seeks to preserve the value of your investment at $1.00 per share, it cannot guarantee it will do so. An investment in the Fund is not insured or guaranteed by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or any other government agency. The Fund's sponsor has no legal obligation to provide financial support to the Fund, and you should not expect that the sponsor will provide financial support to the Fund at any time.
If you would like duplicate account statements or trade confirmations sent to a different address, please provide the address below.
Mutual Fund and Equity Dividend Reinvestments
Dividend and capital gain distributions may be reinvested or swept into your brokerage account. New mutual fund purchases default to reinvest. Equity purchases default to pay the distributions as cash to your sweep account. A security issuer may declare an optional dividend that requires you elect either cash or stock prior to payment. We will apply your dividend reinvestment instruction to any future optional dividends, unless you notify us of alternate instructions prior to the election cut-off time. If you desire to change the defaults, please contact us at 1-888-345-2071 once your account is established.
If you live in a community property state and you do not designate your spouse as your sole primary
beneficiary, consult your attorney or tax advisor to determine if your spouse must consent in writing
to your designation of beneficiary. If your state requires spousal consent, please complete the Brokerage IRA Designation of Beneficiary form .
You may call us for the form or download one from americancentury.com.
Name a Beneficiary:
NOTE: The designation entered here replaces and revokes any prior designation you may already have on file for this plan type.
In the event of my death, pay the balance of my IRA to:
Submitting this application acknowledges that you have read the Customer Agreement and agree to the terms.
* I am of legal age.
* I acknowledge that American Century Investment Services, Inc. (American Century), acting through one of its divisions, American Century Brokerage, does not provide investment, tax or legal advice and makes no recommendations concerning securities purchases and sales.
* All securities transactions are accepted by American Century on an unsolicited basis and are the result of independent action by me.
* I understand that an annual IRA custodial fee applies to each account and will be waived if my IRA balance is $10,000 or more or if I am a Priority Investor.
* I acknowledge receipt of a current prospectus for the applicable American Century money market fund.
* I have read and understand the applicable fees and commissions outlined in the Brokerage Fees and Commissions Schedule.
* With my signature on this document, I authorize any free credit balance in my account to be automatically invested into the sweep product elected, unless I instruct American Century differently. Pershing LLC is further authorized to rely on instructions that I give to American Century regarding my sweep elections. I agree that my sweep option may be changed, including changes between money market funds and bank deposit products, with prior notification to me.
* I understand that providing my email address gives American Century permission to send me information about products and services via email.
* I authorize American Century, its affiliated companies and agents, to act upon my instructions provided herein.
* In consideration of American Century accepting this account application, I agree to defend, hold harmless and indemnify American Century and its officers, agents, employees, affiliates and successors from liability for any loss, claim or expense that I may sustain as a result of their acting on transaction instructions they believe to be genuine.
* I understand that American Century will use reasonable procedures to confirm that instructions submitted by any account owner or trustee online, by telephone, fax, in writing, or by any other means acceptable to American Century, are genuine, including personal identification, recording of telephone conversations and providing written or electronic confirmation of each transaction. A failure on their part to employ such procedures may subject them to liability for any loss due to unauthorized or fraudulent instructions.
* I understand that neither American Century nor its affiliated companies or agents shall be responsible or liable for any damages related to online services including but not limited to those caused by theft, unauthorized access, failure of electronic or mechanical equipment, communications line failure or telephone or interconnectivity problems or other occurrences beyond their control.
* If I am making a rollover deposit to this IRA, I hereby certify that the funds are eligible for rollover and I irrevocably elect to treat the distribution I received from my prior plan as a rollover contribution.
* I understand that the beneficiary designation submitted herewith is not revoked or changed by any provision of my will, personal trust or other separate agreement (e.g., prenuptial agreement or divorce settlement agreement). I acknowledge that only beneficiary revocations or designations filed with and accepted by American Century are considered valid and enforceable.
* I acknowledge that State Street Bank and Trust Company and American Century shall not be liable for any tax or other consequences in connection with contributions to my IRA.
* Important Information About New Accounts: A federal law, established to help stop the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, requires financial institutions to verify the identity of each person who opens an account. American Century will verify your identity using the name, street address, date of birth and Social Security number that you provide in this application. In some instances, we may request additional documentation.
I HAVE RECEIVED, READ, UNDERSTOOD, CONSENTED AND AGREED TO ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE APPROPRIATE IRA DISCLOSURE STATEMENT AND CUSTODIAL AGREEMENT AND THE AMERICAN CENTURY BROKERAGE CUSTOMER AGREEMENT ("CUSTOMER AGREEMENT") AND FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE CUSTOMER AGREEMENT CONTAINS A PREDISPUTE ARBITRATION CLAUSE, WHICH IS LOCATED IN SECTIONS B.23 AND B.24, PAGE 14, AND SECTIONS 20 AND 21, PAGE 32, IN THE CUSTOMER AGREEMENT, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ITS TERMS.
* I understand this online application is binding and that by clicking 'Submit' below that I am entering into a binding contract with American Century Brokerage under the terms described in this application.
The number on this form is my correct taxpayer identification number.
I am not subject to backup withholding because:
(a) I am exempt from backup withholding, or
(b) I have not been notified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that I am subject to backup withholding as a result of a failure to report all interest or dividends, or
(c) the IRS has notified me that I am no longer subject to backup withholding.
I am subject to backup withholding because:
(a) I am not exempt from backup withholding, or
(b) I have been notified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that I am subject to backup withholding as a result of a failure to report all interest or dividends, or
(c) the IRS has not notified me that I am no longer subject to backup withholding.
The IRS does not require your consent to any provision of this document other than the certifications required to avoid backup withholding.
I am a U.S. citizen or other U.S. person.
We do not accept written trade instructions. To initiate a trade, please access your account at americancentury.com or call TeleSelect at 1-888-345-2091 or contact us at 1-888-345-2071.
Custodian Acceptance. If all required forms and information are properly submitted, State Street Bank and Trust Company will accept appointment as Custodian of the Custodial Account. However, this Agreement (and Account Application) is not binding upon the Custodian until the Depositor has received a statement confirming the initial transaction for the Custodial Account. Receipt by the Depositor of a confirmation of the purchase or deposit of securities, cash or other instructions indicated in the Depositor's Adoption Agreement will serve as notification of State Street Bank and Trust Company's acceptance of appointment as Custodian of the Custodial Account.
American Century Investments respects your privacy. We may use the information you provide to communicate with you and to provide information about our products and services. Read more about our Privacy & Security Policy
Brokerage Services are provided by American Century Brokerage, a division of American Century Investment Services, Inc., registered broker/dealer, member FINRA, SIPC.
Call us at 1-888-345-2071