This material has been prepared for educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide, and should not be relied upon for, investment, accounting, legal or tax advice.
Follow This Checklist
- Request death certificate.
- Gather important documents, including life insurance policies, will or trust documents, financial and retirement accounts, bank statements, tax documents, mortgage information, bills, etc.
- Update the address on all accounts and bills if needed and/or forward mail to an appropriate address.
- Make copies of the will or other documentation showing the executors.
- Call credit card companies, the three credit agencies, utilities and other billing companies, and existing creditors.
- Determine assets and outstanding debts.
- Work through will or trust.